Tonnara of Favignana - Ex factory Florio
During your summer holiday in Favignana, certainly will not miss a visit to the former or the Tonnara Florio Favignana, pears experience a journey into the past of the trap and prosperous than it was for the economic development of the island of Favignana.
The plant was the place where the equipment, anchors and boats of the massacre were kept. The Tonnara of Favignana, officially called Ex Florio of the traps of Favignana and Formica, is an ancient tuna fishery, with an adjoining facility for storage of the catch, located in Favignana, one of the three magnificent islands of the Egadi.
With its 32 thousand square meters, of which 3/4 are covered, it is one of the largest tuna fishing in the Mediterranean. The Florio family in 1841 he rented the trap for the massacre by the Pallavicini family of Genoa. Purchased the islands of Favignana and Formica and acquired fishing rights in 1874 by Ignazio Florio who called the architect Giuseppe Damiani Almeyda and enlarged and restructured the tuna fishery, building the plant for the conservation of tuna.
He had introduced the revolutionary method of conservation of tuna in oil after boiling and canning. Tuna, cut into pieces was baked in 24 large boilers, still visible today, and then placed to dry. In another large room it was made the processing of milk, through the use of machines and welding machines. World Fair of 1891-92 Florio also introduced innovative tins with key opening the tin.
With the construction of the plant, the renewed impetus given to the fishing and marketing of bluefin tuna, the main national and foreign markets, was amply repaid by the success, both in terms of image and profit. The works, started by the Superintendence for Cultural and Technical Environmental Heritage of Trapani, were completed in 2010, making it a fine example of industrial archeology. Inside a space is designed as a museum, with multimedia rooms, and the rest are made different ethno-cultural events.
The entrance fee is only guided groups.